Required Preparation before classes:
1. Check materials and homework requirements and all communications via email, Canvas, and our course blog
2. Pack supplies and homework for the next class
3. Bring sketchbook for notes and brainstorming
4. Charge camera and laptop batteries
Your sketchbook is an integral part of the course and is to be used for every project.
Can include: Your own personal choice of work and idea notes, preparatory sketches, compositional studies, technique samples, lecture/demonstration notes.
I will be reviewing student sketchbooks on a regular basis throughout the term. Each sketchbook should reflect the thoughtful and meaningful exploration of ideas, media, and technique.
Your Learning Portfolio is another essential part of the course requirements. It is a place to post right after the final presentation for each assignment during the semester. Along with image placement, you are to write about the concepts, process, and outcomes of the projects.
I will be reviewing student Learning Portfolios throughout the course.
REDUCED PROJECT GRADES
-Late projects. (not late if sent via email by midnight, the same day project is due)
-Not coming prepared to class with materials and review of this blog
-Incomplete projects at the required level, in progress (when asked) or finished (when due)
-Sleeping or texting during class
-Coming late to class (Students are marked tardy after 10 minutes. Two tardies equal one absence. An absence occurs after 30 minutes.)
-MISSING TWO CLASSES. Your grade for the class will be reduced 1/2 grade for every absence after the first one.
-Not participating in projects, discussions, and critiques
-ABSENCE ON THE DAY OF A CRITIQUE
Evaluation of Student Performance
(If a project is turned in on time, reworking raises the grade)
Improvement, Quality, Preparedness, Sketchbook, Class projects, Homework Projects, Five Major Projects, Learning Portfolio, Extra Credit
Class Participation: 40%
Class participation, attendance, and collaboration:
collaboration as evidenced by self- and peer-evaluation feedback, Learning Portfolio entries, and group/individual work and participation in class
10% Mini-critiques, Final critiques, class discussions, sketchbook
10% In-class exercises
10% Learning Portfolio
Process, documentation, presentation and Learning Portfolio reflection included in all projects will be a part of these grades
10% Project 1
10% Project 2
10% Project 3
10% Project 4
20% Final project
1.Preparation-completing thumbnails, reading the blog and following the guidelines, having projects in on time and finished to the degree expected, bringing in all required supplies and any communication with me and exchange for help.
2. Project grade-effort, and improvement if handed in again, submission of the assignment, use of tools and techniques, problem-solving, overall comprehension and creating all parts of a project which work together.
3. Quality– presentation during a critique, time and effort placed into a project, how consistent the areas of the project are in quality. Always put your best effort in, it is a reflection on you. Each of portion of a multi-part project will be given letter grades separately.
4. Improvement-will be included in the grade based on if it is applied or not when suggested. Growth is also a part of improvement.