Please read and review the visuals in this post all the way to the bottom to be sure to include all that is required for the assignment.
Here is the link to a page with several tutorials on using Illustrator to help you create the assignment.
Please have your chosen design completed in Illustrator for the start of class this Thursday. I will review the completed document then take you over to the lab to make the laser product.
Important applications, even if your pieces are simple. You will want to include all three techniques to make the most out of learning to use the laser cutting machine. The steps below show the Illustrator drawing, color line, black fill and line weight application for:
1. vector engraving 2. vector cutting and 3. raster engraving
-Please be sure to complete the steps below even if your shapes are geometrical
-Only use vector drawings completed in Illustrator. Do not use jpg images, clipping masks, blends or pattern fills. Patterns must be strokes and fills.
Link to PDF STEP BY STEP DOCUMENT HANDED OUT IN CLASS WITH ADDED TEXT
Strokes, paths, anchor points, shapes, line width, artboard size, and color are all important to properly set up your document.
There are two parts to this project.
1. Designing for your client. The client should give the designer inspiration and some artistic license.
2. The Laser Wear project is largely about using laser methods in as many ways as possible. All three techniques apply. Push yourself to think in less minimal ways. The pieces themselves can be simple, small (but not too small) and minimal but use drawings on the pieces to incorporate more. You want to show all you can do in the laser process.
1. Sketchbook Please show corrections, changes, and additions made to your designs
2. Computer with the completed Adobe Illustrator document. You won’t be able to work in class without it.
3. You materials you will use for laser cutting. Only bring what is approved by the Lab. Please see the list supplied in a link in the last post. Untreated craft wood is available at Blick and the Laser Lab store. Plexiglass in black, red and clear is available through the Laser Lab Store. Color plexiglass can be bought at Canal Plastics. The buttons and other items I showed in class can be bought at Pacific Trimming Chains, links, cords, fabrics, and leather can be found at Michaels (on 6th Avenue btw. 21 and 22nd St.) Trumart Discount Fabrics (here you have to bargain) Mood Fabrics ask for untreated, natural leather for the Laser Lab. Let the store know your requirements.
IMPORTANT TO REVIEW
Please let me know if I can help in any way.