Please read this post all the way to the bottom. CHANGE OF PLANS–We will meet in the classroom, on Thursday, NOT in the Ceramic & Wet Shop. Please be on time.
Examples of clay building structures
ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION: Each person will create two SMALL clay building structures. During the final presentation, they will all be placed together to form our own metropolis.
LINK TO THE VIRTUAL WALKING TOUR
is on the Class Lectures page under the description.
From this, you can base your choices of architectural styles. It shows you a range of structures in the Village and their locations, architectural styles, and a brief history. FYI-In the middle of the linked page, you will find the New School with a brief history.
LINK TO THE MAP OF GREENWICH VILLAGE FOR YOU TO USE FOR YOUR NEARBY ARCHITECTURAL CHOICES
This is pictured and linked on the Class Lectures page
The Village is in the neighborhood of the school and therefore convenient.
If you would like to choose another location in NYC or its boroughs, feel free.
(TEN PHOTOGRAPHS and TWO or more DRAWINGS)
To fulfill the requirements of the sticker project, please finalize and post on your LP by 3/12.
For the Built Metropolis project:
1. TEN PHOTOGRAPHS OF YOUR CHOSEN TWO ARCHITECTURAL STRUCTURES (five of each) taken in person (not from the web) showing visible sides of each building. You need to have the multiple views in order to create your sculptures made from clay this Thursday.
2. Finish TWO or MORE SKETCHES of your building designs based on the two structures. Please consider the design on all sides, function, and the clay material you will use. As this is the start and research for the project and not the critique, there is no need to print out the photos. You can show them on your phone or computer.
3. SOME ADDITIONAL RESEARCH on the architectural style of your two building choices.
(Photos, sketches and a bit of research are due this Thursday)
2. Ten Photos
3. Credit Card to Purchase Clay online on the spot. It can also be purchased ahead of time. The bag of clay is $3.25. (link). There are four types and colors to choose from. You can share the bag with another classmate to save money or you can use mine which will give you only one type of clay to choose from.
No need to purchase the slip or tools. They will be supplied by the Wet Lab.
1. I will give a tutorial/demonstration on different techniques you can use to complete the project. It is important to be on time. I won’t repeat the demonstration and there is limited time to work. The class starts promptly at 12:10 pm.
If you use your time wisely, you can finish the project during class. We will only work on the project for one day in class.
Because the hand-built clay needs to dry and be fired
-THE PROJECT IS DUE for presentation, WEEK 10, April 5